Sony Watchman

 Sony Watchman



I was fortunate enough in the 1980s to be a teenager, not in love, not just yet.  I had my heart set on technology - my sights were set on all things modern and just out of reach.  I payed good money for a good Walkman and I still wish I'd never sold it.

They may have only been one inch but I really, really wanted a Sony Watchman.  I wouldn't mind,  I didn't need to watch television whilst out and about, I just loved the technology.

In the past few months I've been privileged to fulfil my desire for a Sony Watchman.  Some fortuitous wandering through eBay gave me the realisation that most people had given up on the micro television.  Based on an analogue TV protocol which is no longer broadcast, it was very apparent that most owners saw this technological marvels as paperweights.  I could not believe that devices that were selling for a couple of weeks pay in 1984 were not much more that a couple of visits to McDonalds in 2021.

I know, I've bought too many of them.  I now own five.  Four with the UK broadcasting standard and one I dragged in all the way from the United States of America, because at the time I didn't know if the TV's would be able to decode multi-standards or just have NTSC decoding.  Unfortunately and rather expensively I found out that they electronics were not this adaptable.  Since then I have managed to find the same model but specified for the UK market.

Watchman FD-2B


Watchman FD-230
Watchman FD-240BE
Watchman FD-210BE
Watchman FD-9B


to be continued ...

Comments